Handwashing Reduces Virulence

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Mark Graybill
(@graybill)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Handwashing reduces virulence. And not only that - refusing to shake hands, obsessive cleaning, wearing masks for fun, interacting only online, and even bombing airports and wrecking highways reduces virulence.

Why? Because pathogens evolve thousands of times faster than hosts. And all pathogens experience evolutionary pressure to increase virulence, because this is a byproduct of rapid reproduction and survivability in novel hosts and tissue types. The only cap on pathogen virulence is host death, which prevents transmission. In a society where a pathogen needed to survive in a host for weeks before the opportunity arose for it to spread to another host, the only pathogens that could survive would be those that are either minimally virulent or symbiotic with humans.

Put another way, extraverted behaviors like shaking hands, eating in public, standing directly in front of casual acquaintances while talking, traveling to distant countries, and actively meeting new people, are what allow the flu to exist. And another upside to the current lockdown is that it exerts a subtle pressure on COVID-19 and all other diseases circulating throughout global populations to evolve reduced virulence and make everybody less sick.

Posted : 29/04/2020 12:31 am
NolanJaobs
(@nolanjaobs)

I like this paragraph. My only concern is the length of time we do the lockdown. If we are in lockdown for a long period of time, my fear is that people will not want to go back to their extraversion when the lockdown ends. If we are all introverted after a year of isolation, then we will still basically be in a lock down and we might lose our humanity. Just a thought, but I do agree that the medical benefits are pretty decent. 

Posted : 29/04/2020 4:20 pm
Mark Graybill
(@graybill)
Member Admin
Topic starter

No, introverts are easily more human than extraverts

Posted : 01/05/2020 6:41 pm
Mark Graybill
(@graybill)
Member Admin
Topic starter

See post 4:  https://wpfunnelwebs.com/community/other/rad-memes/#post-60